Monday, November 21, 2011

Week of Thankfulness - Day One


It's Monday - Day 1 of the Week of Thankfulness (I can't hear anything on account of all the cheering!). 

Why have I been so excited about this ever since I saw the idea on another blog? It could be because I really do love Thanksgiving and it kind of/totally gets overshadowed by Christmas.  It could also be because I immediately decided to feature the women I'm most thankful for and I just can't wait to share them with you. 

But the most likely reason is because I'm naturally a pessimist and I think one of the ways that I keep myself from thinking the glass is half empty is remembering what I have been given. 

So let's get this party started! I've asked the closest women in my life to share their favorite tradition, the three things they're most thankful for (besides the obvious...God, family, and friends), and a favorite recipe. I share my heart with these women, have learned so much from them, and am beyond thankful for them. 

A week of thankfulness - Day 1. Amy, Lisanne, and Laura.


Eating. I don't think that really qualifies as a tradition, but I have always loved Thanksgiving because it revolves around eating good food with the people I love. There's none of the hoopla that goes with Christmas. It's just food and family, which is all I think I ever need in life.

The opportunities to pursue my dreams, my health, and all four of my pets, which brighten my day in their own special ways.

My mom makes a killer broccoli rice casserole that I cannot live without. Also, cranberry spread plopped on a plate still in the shape of the can.


Random side note from Jenny - my mother is also a fan of the cranberry sauce. However, it sits and looks exactly like the above picture and nobody touches it the entire meal...including my mother. We're not really sure why she buys it. Amy, clearly you should eat more Thanksgiving meals with us. 


My favorite tradition is having a lot of people around!  The last many years I have shared Thanksgiving with people from all over the world and all different walks of life.  I love that having so many different people sharing in a meal is reminiscent of the first Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims and Indians.

1. A healthy body that allows me to do things that so many others cannot.  Such as walking/running, hiking and biking. 
2. The simple pleasure of homemade hot chocolate and whipped cream on a crisp fall day. (Enjoyed that last night with a big smile on my face.) 
3. Seeing a little baby boy shyly smile at you and then bury his face in his mother's shoulder while making sure to peek and see if you are still looking.  Little flirts all the way!!  

A new recipe that I am loving right now is Apple Cinnamon Cranberry Quinoa!


It's from Daily Garnish and you can find the recipe here

Running the Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning in whatever city we happen to be.

1. Cliché, but it is my family. This year my grandma's birthday was on Thanksgiving, and she was going to be 90.  She passed away a week and a half ago, but we are still getting together as a family at the graveside to remember her, and then following that time with family dinner--bittersweet.
2. Adoption, both earthly and heavenly.
3."Parks and Rec" with Amy Poehler--hilarious! Can't wait to get caught up when I get home! 


Simple, but delish! Spoon corn bread.



--Small Package of corn bread
--8 oz sour cream
--1 sm. can of cream corn
--1 sm. can of whole kernel corn, drained
--1 egg
--Topped with cheese (swiss or cheddar)
--Bake at 350 in 9 x 13


How much do I love these girls? And the fun has only just begun...stay tuned for Day 2 tomorrow. But until then, feel free to join in the fun and share your own thankfulness, too!

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I can't wait for the rest. Also, best friend of 17 years? BOOYAH. That is me. :)

    ReplyDelete